The Distinguished Faculty and Staff awards are designed to honor outstanding tenured faculty and lecturers who have taught at SF State for six or more years and have a .6 or greater teaching load in the areas of teaching, professional achievement and service. These awards also honor staff members who have made outstanding contributions to the University, to the extended community, and/or to their profession via participation in service activities. All staff members who have worked full-time at SF State for six or more years are eligible. Deans, other administrators, and previous winners of this award are ineligible. The Faculty and Staff Awards Committee encourages nominators to re-nominate candidates who were not successful in previous competitions.
Each year, the SF State Foundation sponsors four (4) Academic Senate faculty awards and one (1) staff award. Currently, the awards and amounts are, as follows:
- $4000 for The President’s Faculty Award for Distinguished Achievement in Research, Scholarship or Creative Works;
- $4000 for The Provost’s Faculty Award for Distinguished Achievement in Teaching by a Tenured or Tenure Track Faculty;
- $4000 for The SF State Foundation’s Faculty Award for Distinguished Achievement in Teaching by a Lecturer;
- $4000 for The Academic Senate’s Faculty Award for Distinguished Achievement in Service to the SF State Campus or Community;
- $4000 for The Staff Award for Distinguished Achievement in Service to the SF State Campus or Community.
The total for these five awards is $20,000.
The Foundation also provides an additional $5,000 to the Academic Senate to cover the costs for an awardee luncheon as well as associated costs, including but not limited to plaques/awards and office supplies.
The $25,000 is a line item in the foundation’s operating budget.
Nominations and required supporting materials are due in the spring. The applications are reviewed by the Faculty and Staff Awards Committee. Award recipients are announced at the Academic Senate meeting in May and introduced to the campus community during the University Open Convocation at the start of the following academic year.
For more information on the awards and nomination information, visit: https://senate.sfsu.edu/content/distinguished-faculty-awards